He will give the concluding benediction prayer on Thursday, the final night of the GOP convention, where Mitt Romney is slated to accept the presidential nomination for his party.It was made clear to the Democratic National Convention organizers, as it was to the Republicans, that the cardinal was coming solely as a pastor, only to pray, not to endorse any party, platform, or candidate.
The cardinal consulted Bishop Peter Jugis of the Diocese of Charlotte, who gave the cardinal his consent to take part in the convention within his diocese. It is customary among brother bishops to extend this courtesy...
- Cardinal sin: Bam blew off DNC blessing
- Who will be the DNC's "high-ranking Catholic?"
- HSH fisks Cardinal Dolan’s invite of Obama to the Al Smith Dinner
- The Vortex: Inviting Obama to Dinner
- Bishop Rene Gracida: Michael Voris Pierces the Veil Surrounding the Invitation of Obama to the Al Smith Dinner
- Nancy Pelosi denied photo-op by Pope Benedict XVI